RE: Pull through style Electic fuel pumps?

John Hammond wrote:

> I've been following this thread with much interest since I'm currently
> in a
> similar situation.
> I'm assembling my '64 330 wagon and I'm working on the fuel and brake
> systems.  The car was originally
> equipped with a 318 and a 2something gearset.  It's now got a 3.23 open
> and
> the 727 will have a manual
> valve-body.  The engine is a 440.  Nothing radical just a basic Magnum
> spec
> street engine with an Edelbrock
> Perf.RPM. a 750 Demon, Magnum manifolds, Comp's Magnum copy cam, nothing
>
> trick here.  Built as a
> fun driver but looking for respectible, reliable, performance
> characteristics.  Originally I had planned to run
> a new fuel line... I've shaved the gas cap and going to a fuel cell in
> the
> spare tire well.  The tank was toast
> and this is a budget build. (Well, it started out that way)  Considering
> the
> routing which works really well,
> and since it's blowin free and clear with some carb cleaner and an air
> hose;
> I'm really temped to just leave
> it alone.  I don't want to starve the 440  at all, but will a 1/4 line
> even
> be remotely capable of keeping it happy?
>         The fuel pump is a new stock replacement Carter,  (Secondary
> question: what size/threads is the output
> to carb:  port for the hose fittting on this? It shipped without one and
> the
> engine builder tossed the original
> pump).  So anyway, mechanical stock pump, don't mind the electric flow
> thru
> pump suppliment idea if it works,
> running this through 1/4" line with an inline filter, will it work or is
>
> this just a bad idea?  While I plan on drivin'
> the wheels off this thing on trips and around town,  I do like to play
> ever
> so often.  I can forsee the occasional
> stop-light confrontation or a test-n-tune day at the strip so I don't
> want
> to hurt the thing or get dusted by
> some fart-can laden import buzzjoke.  Please add your two cents on this
> if
> you have an opinion... I want the
> car on the road, but funds are getting tight and availble time to spend
> its
> completion has just been drastically
> cut due to work constraints.  Also, if you can compair this to a
> previous
> similar setup you've had... try to relate
> what level of performance I could expect from this combination.   Thanks
> in
> advance to all who respond...
> Yours in Mopar,
> John Hammond
>
> 1965 Belvedere I
> 1964 Dodge 330 wagon
> 1979 D-50 ProStreet

I'm sure your fuel line is 5/16", not 1/4". That's the norm. It's hard
to see the 1/16" visually. The 3/8" is nice but I'm sure you can do just
fine with the 5/16". As I recall many/most of the big blocks came with
5/16". The electric pump is swell but you can do without it and add it
later if you wish.

----