To: "1962to1965mopars" <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: rough idle

What to do, what to do?  I have a 63 Polara 500 with a 383 and BBD
3475s carb.  It just developed a rough idle, after warming up.  I
hooked a tach up and it's idling around 300 RPM.  I realize it should
500 RPM, but I found the idle adjust screw is already all the way in;
the previous owner must have done it.

I'm waffling between:
a) extract the venturi mechanism and clean the idle tubes
b) rebuild the carb
c) replace manifold and carb with a more powerful 4 barrel

I'd been planning on replacing the manifold and carb with something
beefier than the 2 barrel, but not for a while.  If I did this, I'd
want to keep it period correct; it's a very original car.  Any
recommendations on where to get a correct manifold and carb?  I guess
I'd want a Carter AFB?  Any thoughts on how much performance I might
pick up over the BBD 2 barrel?  How much advantage might a new Eddy or
Holley have over an old Carter?  I've already replaced the 5/16 fuel
line with 3/8.

I'm thinking I'll try cleaning the idle tubes first and see if that
quick fixes it.

As always, thanks.

- Jim