From: "Gary Pavlovich" <glpavlovich@xxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>; <318poly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:58 AM
Subject: Use Castrol oil with Zinc

> Polyheads,
>
> I suggest you read the following and consider using the Castrol oil
formulated for our vintage vehicles;

> 3 phone calls this week from customers w/failed flat tappet camshafts
(don't cha just love idleing at these cruises?). 2 of the 3 had the hole
EDM'd the foot of the lifter (Comp Cams) but failed within about 1000 miles.
Apparently the Shell Rotella T has been reformulated so be carefull there.
Much info/selection/choice of oil is availabe now regarding "classic car
engines" and the use of  flat tappet camshafts.
> Read the label carefully on your favorite flavor of oil, and/or check out
the internet for complete info. The magic ingredients is ZDDP and carry's a
SL rating. Rule of thumb is no less than 1200 PPM's of Zinc and at least 75%
(900 PPM's) as much of Phosphorous as Zinc.

> Subject: RE: CastrolUSA - Expert Advice Form Data
> Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 20:48:38 +0000
>
>   Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.
>

>   The latest API SM/ILSAC GF-4 category calls for reduced Zinc and
Phosphorus levels to allow extended catalyst life in current model vehicles.
There appear to be field issues associated with the SM/GF-4 oil's level of
antiwear in the classic car engines known as flat tappet cam engines.  The
current late model passenger car engines are not flat tappet cam engines and
have no reported field issues related to the level of antiwear chemistry in
the SM/GF-4 oils.

>   Product Recommendations for Flat Tappet (Solid Lifter) Cam Engines:
>
>   Castrol Syntec 20W-50 (Recent reformulation identified by "Recommended
for Classic Cars" text on back label) (min Zn = 0.12 = 1200 ppm)(full
synthetic)

>   New Motorcycle Products, Expected to be Available Q2 2008:
>
>   Castrol Power RS GPS 10W-30, 10W-40 and 20W-50 (min Zn = 0.12 = 1200
ppm)

>   Castrol Power RS R4 10W-50 and 5W-40 (min Zn = 0.12 = 1200 ppm)
>
>   Castrol Power RS V-Twin 20W-40 and 20W-50 (min Zn = 0.12 = 1200 ppm)
>

>   Castrol Consumer Relations
>

>   Gary Pavlovich

> ----
topic.  Thanks!