RE: 64

Ron Soldani wrote:

> Thanks Don, Extra clutches for the 727 is doable. I have a newer case I
> found on ebay so I'll rebuild it and add a clutch. Had a 64 Spt Fury 38
> years ago that had a 383 and seemed to have plenty of power then so the
> 440
> instead of the 512 maybe the way to go. Definitely more affordable.
> Another
> issue I was wondering about is cooling. I've owned a Super bee w/383 and
> Charger RT W/440 and never had a problem cooling the engine , but they
> were
> stock bore. Anybody who's bored a newer 440 block 30 or 60 over had any
> cooling problems?

There have been quite a few discussions about cooling issues.  The last
one just within the past few days.  My 440 is a .030 over and will run
warm in stop and go city driving after coming off the highway or
thrashing it a little bit.  I recently had it rebuilt.  Previously it
was basically a stock low compression motor with a modest cam.  It acted
the same way then too.  The folks here on the list have tried many
things like an extra electric fan or a fan shroud.  Don recently
suggested running a smaller pulley on the fan which will run the water
pump and fan at a higher rpm.
On that note Schuyler found his poly pulley and it is actually 1/4"
larger than the one I currently have, 6.5" vs. 6.25" so I'm still
looking.

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727