re: carb question

In the past Earl Helm told me to read and follow the directions from
Edelbrock in their set-up booklet that comes with the carb. If you don't
have one they can send you one. The carbs are very easy to take apart
and change all sorts of things. They seem to run good out of the box
most of the time.

There are vac secondary butterflies below the upper butterflies. You can
drill the counterweights so they open quicker or more completely.
Edelbrock will send you a template with instructions for that too. The
metering rod springs are a factor too. But probably you don't need to
get carried away and change myriads of things. Don't overlook the other
issues like timing too as that is a big factor. Make small changes one
at a time and see how they work. Float height gets messed up easily it
seems. Fuel pressure needs to stay below 6psi as I recall. Too much
pressure will actually bend the floats and cause gas to spill into the
carb. I had that problem at first until I installed a pressure
regulator.

I'm still trying to get all my stuff working right so you can't say I'm
an expert for sure. And never will be but I'm having fun taking stuff
apart and trying. I'm getting better. So will you.

----