To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 11:13 AM
Subject: London cruise - a few pics

Took a trip down to 'old London town' last nite in the 63 for the
monthly 'Chelsea Cruise'. It's nearly a 2 hour drive for my brother if
he comes to pick me up, so it's not one we do very often. But the
weather was great & September is likely to be the last of the year in
anything like summer weather. Numbers also start to drop-off as winter
sets in so thought we ought to make the effort.

Over in this neck of the woods, the 'Chelsea Cruise' is the country's
best know and longest running cruise night, having started back in the
70's. It's moved around a bit over the years, within a mile or two, and
even stopped during the 90's & early 00's as the hot-hatch boys took
over and turned it into more of a sound-off for euro/jap-crap, rather
than a gathering for American/custom/hot rods.

But a few years ago, one of our club members (bronze 68 Charger in the
following pics) started it up again and it's slowly grown to around
50-75 cars - mostly muscle cars, some 40's & 50's, some hot rods & some
classic British cars. Still way short of the hundreds that used to turn
up when we first used to go in the 80's, but it's a start!

Not visible in the pics, but 1/2 mile from the bridge we were on is
Battersea Power Station; some of you might know it from the cover of
Pink Floyd's Animals album. I didnt see any flying pigs last nite tho.

Our journey there takes in a few well know land marks too - through
Regents Park (London Zoo) onto Baker Street (Sherlock Holmes), onto
Oxford Street (shopping) to Marble Arch and along Park Lane to
Buckingham Palace, past Victoria Station, onto Chelsea Bridge on the
River Thames.

Cars also use the adjacent Albert Park but it was too dark to take any
pics in there.

The old 63 behaved impeccably as usual - not the type of journey
(traffic light's every 1/8 mile) recommended for Max Wedges 'back in the
day' I know, by we have got a hyd cam & slightly lower compression, so
that probably helps.

Not much other 62-65 action I'm afraid, but there arent many others
around these parts! Some of the better cars had gone by the time I got
my camera out, so here are just a few of the nicer ones that caught my
eye:

(advance warning - F*rd & GM content!)

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/rob426uk/Chelsea%20Cruise%20Sept%2008/?start=all

Robert