To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 9:11 PM
Subject: 383 Cooling Problems

Hello,
I am trying to improve the cooling on my 1963 Sport Fury with a 383.  I
am running on the edge of boiling with actual temperatures out of the
water pump of 210 to 220 degrees as read with an IR heat gun.

I have followed all of the posts about cooling problems.  I have a good
160 degree thermostat, the cooling system is clean, the radiator has
been recored to a 3-row core.

Probably my biggest problem is that I do not have a fan shroud and I
live in Yuma Arizona where 100 degrees plus is still normal weather.

I tried a pusher 16" Flex-A-Lite #398 2500 cfm fan that did little if
any good.  I left the stock fan on. It looks like if an electric fan
will help it needs a shroud on the electric fan to direct air through
all rows of the core or I need a fan that is 22" wide to blow air
through all rows.

I may be looking at the wrong places but I have not found a shroud for a
19963 with a 383.  I am finding shrouds for later models.

Are any of the later model shrouds adaptable to a 1963 and if so which
is the best to buy.

I know there is the a final solution of going for a new aluminum
radiator and shroud but that easily pushes the cost to $700 or more.
After the last couple of months of our economic news not extra is been
spent on the old car.

I know this discussion has been beat to death but any help would be
appreciated.

Dennis

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----

----