RE: 383 Cooling Problems

Dennis;

Is your car boiling over? What shape is the inside of the pump housing? Is
it smooth and clean or pitted and corroded? If your car is not boiling over
it is not overheating. You said you were getting 210 to 220 temp. That is
not the water temp it is the temp of the hose or pump or what ever you were
shooting not the water inside of it. The water or coolant is removing the
heat from the engine and it's components witch are all warmer than the
coolant. The air passing through the radiator removes the heat from the
coolant then it goes back in and starts all over again. Now if the inside of
your housing is pitted or corroded this causes turbulence in the pump
reducing the efficiency or amount of coolant moved. Infra-red looks for heat
 so it is going to show the hottest part of an item. If the inside is hotter
than the outside you see the contrast if the outside is hotter all you see
is the outside. So basically an IR gun really can't tell you the temp of the
coolant inside the cooling system other than removing the cap and shoot
inside of the radiator. What temp is your gauge showing? That is a more
accurate coolant temp number than an IR gun because it's in the coolant!  I
don't thing your problem is as big as you think it is.  Just my thoughts on
the subject.

  Herb

1963 Fury 2D/HT 6.1
1963 Sport Fury Convertible 361