tranny hum and surge

concerned about my new 64 cudas 904 torqueflite.
  it supposedly has a shift kit in it. but the torque convertor is stock.
   the first thing it does is a gentle hum it makes when u take off,
its not a violent or rough sound but i have never heard it in an
automatic tranny car before. i beleive it stays there but just gets
obliterated by road noise  as the speed accelerates.   Do shift kits
make trannies sound deffierent.
  Then the second concern is a slight rev between  2and 3 .   U can
see it rev about 200-300 rpms between shifts on the tach.
  can that be adjusted out??
  thanks
  neal zimmerman, eugene oregon