slant six

Easy to tell of it is not cast in the block just measure the stroke . 4.12" is a 225 and is so long it can't be confused with anything else. All have the same  bore. Even from ring wear on the cylinders you should be able to tell since the differences are huge between a 225 a 198 and a 170. I have played with all three. I currently have a street version 225 in my sr dragster. I will get foolish with it this winter. I did a 198 for my wife Linda in the late 70s for a 66 Barracuda . It was an absolute joy to own and i tend to lean in favour of the 198 if I am totally truthful. I did turbocharge a 170 before it was fashionable for a friend Stu Denyes. We had it ina 32 bantam and he won money almost everytime he raced it. Eventually we sold the turbo and I built him a 225 NA( without the turbo.) That motor is still around some 30 years later and belongs to someone in Trenton. It had TRW forged replacement pistons in it (no longer avaialable) a isky 550 cam and reworked 360 valves . Most will make 200 HP and I think 375 or even 400 is possible with a lot of care and planning. Huge amount can be planed of off the head and block with no detrement. .070 to .090" is not uncommon. Some guys use 198 rods in a 225 to raise the piston in the bore and gain compression. it is a very practical solution for the 225 engines.  Early blocks will take a huge overbore. I have one here that is 3 9/16ths bore which is way way over from the original 3.4 "bore. Some of the early 225 blocks can take this although I had a 198 block sonic checked last week and about 080 was all it would stand.
The 170 with its short stroke will turn with the right goodies 8500 RPM . Have seen it done twice in my short life . (Neither was by me ) The 198 with its moderate stroke fits right into conventional hot rod wisdom . It can stand all you will need to ask from it. The one I did for my wifes 66 Cuda ran 15.80s and earned her a real nice trophy at Mohawk Dragway against a 327 chevelle. Also gave 25 MPG IMP on a trip to and from Florida even when cruising over 80 MPH.
I have a 2 bbl manifold and a four barel one in stock. Am currently taking the street stuff cam etc out of my senior dragster and going besurk!!!!!!!!.
Its power currenltly I think is similar to Lindas Cuda because if I do the wieght thing it comes out to with in a tenth or so what hers ran.  Need any help question wise feel free to ask. Always thought a 62 valiant or lancer with a severe 170 and a pair of turbos from a lazer or daytona at about 18 psi boost would be a mind blowing fun inexpensive ride. Can you imagine going say Corvette hunting in a 62 valiant and being able to eat a few. It would make life worth living. Why a 62 valiant ? Weighs the least of the early valiant models. A 63 to 65 would be fine too but I think there is a small weight penalty. So turbo or no turbo they are a great engine  and on the fun per $ scale right at the top.  I smile everytime i walk by mine in the shop.
Best of luck on your project. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Don

----