Hub removal from a 64 axle

Hi,

Many of us have written back and forth about the removal of the rear
brake drums and how they will separate from the hubs on the tapered axle
units from 64 and older.

I removed my axles a few weeks ago without removing the hub first and
then separated the hub from the axle without a great deal of effort or
the puller that the service manual calls for.

I went to a friends house with both axles (with the hubs still pressed
on) and he attached a puller onto three of the studs.  He then tightened
the puller with an impact gun.  The hammering of the impact gun had the
hubs off in a few minutes each.  No heat, no hammering, no sweat.

He then pushed out the studs from the hubs with a blunt bit in an air
chisel.  Buurrrp and out they came.  Just like magic.

I wanted to share the tip about the impact gun for the hub removal. It
did take a pretty good quality puller (one that went over the studs and
then used the lugnuts to hold it in place). Similar to a heavy slide
hammer attachment.

Anyway, I was impressed.

K.

Kevin R. Merkley