Slightly off-topic shifter/console question...

Slightly off-topic shifter/console question...

Hi all
Please excuse the slightly off-topic question, but I was hoping someone
out there in 62-65 land may have some experience with late-60's
consoles...
My brother & i are looking at fitting an aftermarket shifter into a
standard console in our 69 Sport Satellite. We were going to just
replace the tired old B&M Z-gate shifter with a better aftermarket
shifter but then we fancied the idea of adding a console (it has bucket
seats so presume it should have had a console from day-one). We've
gathered a few of the console parts but have no original-style shifter
parts so think it may be as well to try & use an aftermarket shifter.
Because of the relatively low height of the console where the shifter
pokes thru, we need to look for a shifter that is fairly low-profile.
This B&M shifter looks like it might do the job, but without the plastic
base: http://www.bmracing.com/s.nl/it.A/id.112/.f (I've found I need to
click my browser's refresh button to get this to display properly).

Have any of you guys ever tried this sort of thing in a 69-ish b-body? A
friend over here is doing a similar job with a Hurst shifter in his 70
Challenger, but we'd like to hear from anyone who knows whether this
will work in our particular application.

Shifter instructions pdf here
http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/installation_instruction/11.pdf
suggests it might work, with the B&M 'cladding' removed, but it's hard
to tell whether the height would be ok. We could raise the shifter up if
needed but would struggle to make it fit if it needed lowering in
relation to the console (dont want to have to raise the console up!)

Sorry for the long off topic question but we'd really appreciate some
help before we spend $200+ on a shifter that might not fit!

Many thanks in advance...

Robert
England

----