From: Dennis C.
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
ReplyTo: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mar 6, 2009 6:32 AM
Subject: Holley Carb Question

I am trying to get my Holley carb jetted.  I think my first problem is
that I have the wrong carburetor.  Several years ago per Holley's
recommendation I bought and installed a 670 Avenger on my 383.  I am now
working on getting the car on the road and per my spark plugs I am
running very lean. It also had very poor performance and at part
throttle at highway speed it ran rough.

So far I have gone from 65 primary jets to 74 primary jets where it
looked a little rich and back to 72 primary jets.  I am running the
secondary jets just 2 numbers higher than the primary.

One of the problems I am having is that it appears that the right bank
is running richer than the left bank.

Is it ever necessary to have different jets from side to side or do they
always need to be the same?

Should I bite the bullet and buy a different carburetor?

Is there any good books or information on jetting carburetors I should
get, this has been interesting but the more I learn the more I am
learning I don't know about carburetors and jetting.

My engine is a 383 with an unknown perfomance cam that may have had some
head work done on.  The work was done on the engine before I bought it.

Thanks
Dennis C.

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

----