DOT's Revisited!

If your a regular on here you probably remember recently we had a brake
fluid discussion or debate about the virtues and pitfalls of the different
DOT fluids.  Not attempting to revisit the subject in whole I was thinking
about why people do not at least every couple of years just bleed the old
corrosive fluid out of their brake system.  Well, other than out of sight
out of mind until a problem arises I guess it is because it's just a plain
old pain in the A$$, or is it?

I am sure every one on here has had the wife/husband or comrade pump the
brakes and bleed, pump & bleed refill and pump & bleed!  Why?

Well, I have and would like to suggest a tool that makes brake bleeding a
snap and a one-man job.  Their are different renditions of it out there with
everything from home made to a few hundred dollars.  Power bleeders are
quite simple and quick to use.  The one I have is basically a garden sprayer
bottle with a long hose and a attachment that fits on top of the Master
Cylinder.  You fill the bottle with the fluid of your choice and pump it up
to the desired pressure.  Then install the appropriate adapter for your
master cylinder.  And finely go to each wheel and open the bleeder and wait
until all the air is out and fluid runs the color of the replacement fluid
or just clean.  You are done and will have a problem free hydraulic proton
of your braking system.  I change my DOT 4 brake, transmission, and
differential fluid about every 30,000 miles and have never had a hydraulic
problem with my brakes ever.  Now I am not counting any cars I have acquired
with high mileage but when I do get them a complete fluids change is first
on my agenda.

Motive Products makes one that I use in the $50.00 to $60.00 range (Shop
Around) with the adapter for the single reservoir type and for a few dollars
 more you can get the adapter that fits the dual reservoir masters and or
any application that suits your needs.  Most every one is sitting there
thinking what the hell $60.00, I can spend that on an item I can see and
enjoy!!  OK, what did you spend on the Master Cylinder, Brake Lines, Hard
Lines, Wheel Cylinders and so on when they corroded and went bad from old
contaminated fluid?  All right that power bleeders not sounding too bad for
preventive maintenance after all, hu!

For those that are handy, my first bleeder was home made using a garden
sprayer bottle, an adapter made with a flat piece of 1/4 in steel plate, a
flat piece of rubber, some chain, threaded rod and hose.  It worked well but
eventually the fluid took it's toll on the unit and I opted for a
professional system that was more resilient.

OK, if your still with me here I want to apologize for being long winded and
most of all give this disclaimer that I am not recommending any particular
manufacture as their are a few of them out their I just happen to use the
one I mentioned.  Basically I am condoning  and highly recommending the
process.

 Herb

1959 Coronet 326 Poly
1963 Fury 2D/HT 6.1