Re: Was Tire Sizes and how to calculate(now need to know tips on first s

Re: Was Tire Sizes and how to calculate(now need to know tips on first startup

Thanks Gary--very interesting on the hanging IV method. I might like to try that. Questions: Is it still considered good to lube everything with white lithium grease- especially on an engine that may not be started for some time after assembly?. OK to use that also on cam lobes? Any risk of clogging up an oil filter with the lithium grease? Where can I get this book by D. Taylor? Also I hear Don D has a book out called "Old Reliable" where can I obtain that too? .............Thanks..........MO...........sw iowa ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary H." <spigot2039@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: Was Tire Sizes and how to calculate(now need to know tips on first startup

Good points. Oiled and cool.

On the oil priming: an alternative to the drill / primer is the "hanging I.V." method used by Don D.

Mostly based on the book by D. Taylor:

Assuming you lubed all the parts well on assembly, once primed with this method you can take out the spark plugs and spin the motor and the oil idiot light should go out or pressure gauge read okay as a double check.

On cooling: keep it cool with a garden hose in the radiator and lower petcock open to assure a constant flow of cool H20 flowing through the cooling system.

A timing light set up and ready with the distributor loosened, vacuum advance hose plugged.

Start engine and run for half hour at 2000-2500 rpm, always watching the oil pressure and heat gauge.

If all well after 30 minutes, shut off, drain water & add anti-freeze, check for leaks and re-tighten intake manifold bolts. Restart, idle at ~500 rpm, recheck timing.

If all well take a trial run on roadway then recheck all for leaks or any other problems. If ok, re-torque the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds.

Resume jumping with glee.

Gary H.