RE: old AC compressors?

Not a Mopar application but old A/C compressors can be used to make a
small air compressor.  Back in the 60's there were articles on using
them, you just need a relief valve, a check valve for the tank, a
screw-on oil filter works as an air filter.  a presure switch is needed
to start stop an electric motor or you can activate the clutch.  I used
one for many years just to air up tires and such until moisture finally
damaged the valves.

Dennis C.

spigot2039@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Any thoughts on the "value" of the old AC compressors, like used on Poly
> 318s? I have a couple in the shed but they are of unknown condition.
> These old AC compressors are real HEAVY too. I hate to toss them into
> the recycle pile, but will do so I guess.
>
> My two pennies thought is that the old AC compressors are worth
> something to a person wanting a correct restoration, but swapping in a
> modern lightweight compressor is better for a lot of folks.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary H.

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----