RE: Installing Elec Distributor in 64 Dodge

RE: Installing Elec Distributor in 64 Dodge

Ron,

I am in no way bad mouthing your setup at all !!  That is the golden feature
of the Pertronix system no holes in the firewall and it will run with out
bypassing the ignition portion of the ballast resister altho I recommend it.
 When I say bypass I just unraped the tape from the harness and only cut the
wire going to the coil back about two or three inches into the harness &
solder it to the 12v supply wire going to the resister from the ignition
switch and rewrapped the harness with it's tape incorporating the cut or
dead end of the coil wire from the ballast resister.    Unless the judges
have XRay vision it cannot be seen!  A smart judge will catch your setup.
At the Monster MoPar show last year they caught several imposters in the
stock classes just by looking at the non stock 70s distributor, and the rest
is easy to find.  With the Pertronix unit in your stock distributor, I put
heat shrink tubing around the two wires (Snug not Tight) going to the coil
making it look like one stock wire and inconspicuously connected them to the
coil from underneath and removed the Pertronix label from the coil.

Note!!  Do Not just bypass the ballast resister as it also supples (the
other wire from the resister) reduced voltage to the voltage regulator in
your dash for the gauges.  Probably biggest reason gauges get burned up,
overloading the dash v-regulator giving 12v shot to a 5v system!  It should
stand up to the increased voltage in theory but why push a week link that is
40 plus years old!!  I left out colors of wires as it is not consistent
across the MoPar line, please refer to a schematic of your application.

Now another subject!  Protecting your gauges, RedLine Gauges has a solid
state v-regulator that is plug&play for our cars.  Redline sells them on
eBay  280353794059  all the time for $35.00, & $50.00 through RedLine
direct??  Http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/

 Herb

1956 Plymouth Belvedere 361
1959 Coronet 326 Poly