Water pump / timing cover

Do any of the water pump or timing cover bolts go into the water
jacket on a poly?

I don't think I used any sealant on any of them back when I rebuilt
the engine and I'm noticing small amounts of coolant on the little
shelf at the bottom of the timing cover.

Assuming that I do need sealant on those threads, do they have to be
dry or can I just drain the coolant, remove the bolts and use sealant?
What sealant should I use?

Man I hope I can get this thing back together in time for the nats ...

Thanks in advance,
Brian