Re: Convert points to electic

The carb bowls can evaporate gas out , and the check valve in the fuel pump can let gas leak back towards the tank. If the car has been sitting for a while, crank the engine for about 5 seconds and then wait about 30 seconds befor trying to crank again. The fuel pump will create enough vacume-pressure to put gas into the carb bowls without continued cranking......................MO.............sw iowa ----- Original Message ----- From: <62pluckedchicken@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:59 AM
Subject: RE: Convert points to electic

My starting problem sounds like what Paul described.. I have to pump it
abiut 20 times to get ignition.. I read the owners manual and the
half-way down just doesn't cut it. If overnight, gently easing the gas,
and 2 or 3 cranks and we're off and running... after that 1 crank, no
gas, and we're in business.

I'll give the liquid wrench a try :)
mikelj@xxxxxxx wrote:

I initially had a starting problem like that with mine.  I did two
things, sprayed some Liquid Wrench on the choke linkage stuff, and then
read my owners manual about starting it!  I have had too many Fords I
guess, when they are cold you pump the pedal all the way down twice to
start.  That just floods the Ball and Ball 2 bbl., the manual says to
push the pedal down half way and hold it while cranking.  That has
worked like a charm.  BTW, the #1382 Petronix unit says 383, 426, 440
engines with Autolite or Prestolite distributors.  Guess you need to
check what kind of distributor the '62 361 2 bbl. has.

Mike in New Mexico