RE: True stories

Dats a good one!

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Dulmage [mailto:big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 7:48 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: True stories

I hope your all sitting down.
here is my worst moment.
Back in the day. (early seventies I ran a homebuilt 69 Dart at Cayuga drag
strip.I had a 68 Street hemi in it from a Dodge charger and I had converted
it to race hemi specs (12 to 1s etc but still had the stock carters on it
and homemade wide wheels on the rear (from ramcharger 8 inch rims. Despite
the hemi it was a pretty plain car but as a young newly married sruggling
mechanic i was more than fortunate just to have it. One day at the track a
guy showed up with a beautiful 68 Dart . it had everything on it. Chome
anodized. etc etc.  My focus was and always has been engines. I can barely
properly wash and chamois my car so i know nothing about detailing and seem
to be completely void of any talent in that direction. On the back of this
guys beautiful black shiny sparkling car was a licence plate saying "MOTHERS
POLISH". Proud as I am of my germnan heritage i had never seen anyone
display a license plate on a race car to that end and I thought this  guy
really must be proud of his Polish roots.
As we waitied in the lanes making small talk I said to him "So your Mother
is Polish, eh?" He went bezerk! Thats Mothers Polish,  you idiot! he
screamed.  I had never heard of the stuff and so for a moment I felt
terribly stupid. I have a lot of Polish friends so I had no derogatory ideas
about them as a people I just thought he was a proud one. After i overcame
my embarrasment it was then smeone whispered in my ear. that that dart guy
is running a BB chevy in it. After that I didnt care and wished I had said a
lot more but just the same everytime i think of this I feel a tinge of
embarrasment.  I still grin though too everytime it comes to mind. I was
too, as innocent as I could be. I had never heard of Mother Polish , not
once ever before that day.
Now when i m need a polish For the old 63 I look specifically for that brand
since it is indulably etched in my mind.
Don

----
topic.  Thanks!