From: 62pluckedchicken@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 4/18/2009 8:49:30 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Convertible filler plug?

I hope my obsessing on this isn't too annoying... I just hate to make
"unrecoverable" mistakes, but I think I found an answer (may be not THE
answer)

last night I was playing "Mr. Science"

since the Mystery fluid has no strong smell I decided to see how it
would react...

first I combined new brake fluid with new trans fluid in a cup.. it's
like combining oil and vinegar... if stirred or shaken will emulsify,
but remain separated otherwise (btw it does get kinda milky)

in one container I combined the "Mystery fluid" with trans fluid, and in
another container "Mystery Fluid" with brake fluid

Here's a picture of the results

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=5591207&pid=10965003

as soon as the "Gunk" hit the trans fluid it started to spread, and
combine with the new fluid,  when stirred it remain emulsified

when the "Gunk" hit the brake fluid is floated on top, and remained
Separate, stirring got the 2 fluids to combine, but started separating
within a few minutes

Conclusion is...

I can't be sure the "Mystery fluid" is transmission fluid (probably is
though), but I know it is compatible with transmission fluid.

So either the manual is wrong, or someone switched to trans fluid at
some point in time... and given the condition of the fluid about 40
years a go ;)

let me know if you see flaws in this logic... if not I'm gonna take the
plunge an use tranny fluid, and stop boring you guys ;)

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT WEIGHED IN!
Bob

----

u/?bUrDWg.bSONJP.YXJjLjYy