RE: Interesting back-up light modification

RE: Interesting back-up light modification

Something I like to do is flash the backup lights while driving as a way
of saying Hi or Goodbye.

Since the switch is on the button assembly, you may have noticed that it
will activate the back up lights before the button goes all the way into
engage reverse.  The button  only has to move about a 1/4" for the
switch to activate the lights.

If you push the button into reverse, you have to push a lot harder than
required to trip the lights.

It really freaks people out when the back up lights flash and I wave
good bye (or Hi).

All of this can be checked before you start the car and worry about
hurting anything.

Turn on the key to accessory (the back up lights are powered from the
wiper circuit) and slowly push in the reverse button.  Assuming your
radio is not too loud, you will here the click of the switch and the
backup lights will come on.

I have also read (and tried on a 63 Belvedere in 1978) that pushing
reverse while driving would force the tranny into neutral and it would
not go into reverse until below 5 miles per hour.  That really freaked
me out but it worked.  I held my breath and pushed reverse at about 30
miles per hour.

The button went in.......
the tranny went into neutral and I had to press drive again to continue
driving.

I have not tried that one with my 64 440 and I'm sure it won't work on a
console car.

K.

Rich Kinsley wrote:

> Rich Kinsley '64 Dodge Polara 4dr 318poly w/goodies
>
> HHmmmmmmm, with this back-up light inquiry I just remembered something I
>
> did to my Jeep back-up lights years ago. It kept getting broken as it
> was atop the trans and would hit the floor board occasionally. So I just
>
> put a toggle on the dash for the back-up lights and did it manually when
>
> desired. This did have added benefits of being able to use it for
> addititonal light and if somebody was getting antsy behind me at a
> stoplight I would flip it on as if I were in reverse and rev it up and
> take off when the light turned :-) Kinda made them wonder if I was gonna
>
> come backwards. Shame on me.

Kevin R. Merkley
Thunder Bay, Ontario
64 Dodge 440 2dr HT (Cdn)