Fw: Re. Thanks for the help, and a update on my '64 330 Wagon

----- Original Message -----
From: John Hammond
To: Doug Daniel
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:54 AM
Subject: Re. Thanks for the help, and a update on my '64 330 Wagon

To Doug and every Forum member who helped out on my question about the 1965 727.  THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH !!!....If anybody couldn't figure out how to qualify a transmission from the simply unbelievable outpouing of aid I recieved on this: they'd have to just be totally devoid of learning skills.  My apologies for not responding sooner but I've been in the garage past few evenings actually making some minor progress in major amounts of time on my '64 330 wagon.   Finally got the heater control cable in, as holding brackets had to be fabbed only to have the end ring snap off the cable.  Shortened the cable housing and bent a new curl onto the end but it's not ideal...is this piece available from anybody at a reasonable cost?  This allowed me to mount the head unit that is being fitted using the original 330 radio dash trim plate. Well, due to the angle, a rather complex bracket had be made to support the rear of the radio chassis.  This took hours of trial and error but finally got it solid and supported.  I've been chasing a cowl leak for months (after 90% of the interrior is in) and I'm about ready for another water test, feel like the cowl is leak free at this point.  So I've built this neat little gauge pod to house a couple of switches and a gas gauge/clock.  Bolts to the bottom of the dash with threaded nut-zerts so it's easilly removable for service/fuses/indicator bulbs. It
too required a rear support bracket... more trial and error here. I'd borrowed a friend's pneumatic angle drill for this and it popped a hole in the botton of the heater box so quick I feared I'd hit the core. (A lesson well learned here, if in doubt use a drill stop.)  So I hook the water hose to a core nipple and turn it on about half open.  In a matter of seconds the drivers floor/carpet is soaking wet.  GRRRRRR!!!  I don't know if maybe the water shot past the nipple and got between the box and the firewall and ran down the inside, or if the valve "O" ring is shot, or if the core itself is leaking.  I'm gonna retest with a bit more controlled methods and hope I get lucky. Recently I just had a shot of water from the hose spill across a nipple and got antifreeze out the other during a cowl leak test and took that as a good sign. When I started on this car years ago the core was checked and leaked nary a drop and seemed to run very freely.  Could hooking up the valve and operating it to free it up somewhat have caused this?  It wasn't frozen-up solid but it was stiff.  After a few minutes of working it a bit the operation was much smoother.  Still it looks like it's a leak between box and firewall though, the nipples, valve, box, all were bone dry inside the car under the dash upon immediate inspection.  So what options do I have if the core has just died for no apparant reason?  Are these things available/expensive?  What about the install?  The FSM outlines the proceedure and it doesn't sound tooo bad but has anybody got some first hand experience they can impart on what to expect if the worse case scenario is about to become a reality?  Again my most sincere thanks to all on this forum... it's been a long time coming but maybe I'll be back in a '62-'65 or two soon. I'd have never made it this far without the help and inspiration of this outstanding group.

John Hammond