RE: Top end response

Rich,
	Unless there is insufficient float drop, I wouldn't think that fuel
supply is an issue.  At 318 cu in, (unless there is something you're not
telling us - we know you've been hanging out with that Pavlovich character
:P ), application of the old carb sizing formula of CID X RPM X VE /3456
(using a VE of 95% for a healthy, fresh motor) nets the following:

318 X 6000 x .95 /3456 = 524 CFM

	It sounds like the rest of the fuel system is pretty solid, so
unless you have a plugged tank sock or something like that you're probably
looking at a carb issue.  Even with just one AFB there should be sufficient
fuel available unless there is a physical problem with a seat backed out
(been there, done that), a swollen viton needle (from additives),
insufficient float drop, or something of that nature, exclusive of flow
problems to that point.  Since you have two of the carbs, I'd say it's
pretty unlikely it's a carb problem unless one carb is just not working at
all.

	I'm not sure how you would even check it, but I suspect that the
weighted secondary flappers may not be seeing enough airflow to pull open.
If the carbs are seeing equal opening, at 95% VE each carb is theoretically
only flowing 262 CFM, and half of that is going down the primaries, all
things remaining equal.  I'm guessing you're running on the primaries of
each carb, the equivalent of one four barrel.

	It's been a while since I've been inside of one of the newer carbs,
but if possible I would suggest maybe removing one or both of the secondary
air flappers.  I'm thinking it shouldn't cause any problems but simply don't
recall.  Don't be surprised if you get a bog, but with sufficient
accelerator pump stroke hopefully you can tune that out.  I don't recall the
old 3258/3259 carbs used on the 343hp 383's having the air flaps and they
would launch okay.  Even if the bog kills your short times, if this is the
problem your MPH should show the difference if you can't feel it in the seat
of your pants.

	If nothing else, does Edelbrock have a tech line that you could run
this by to get their take on it?

Just my recession-adjusted $.01 cents worth.
SC