RE: Heater controls

I drilled a hole in the lever due to the end being broken off, but I put
a kink in the cable and set it all up so the dash lever is
opening/closing the valve. I looked at the valve before installing the
heater box and it looked to me like it was opening up. It doesn't move
very much to open. I agree about the heater hoses though...there doesn't
seem to be any reason water won't flow either direction, so hose
orientation shouldn't matter. I will wamr the engine then check for hot
hoses, I did forget to check that. Thanks for the info.
Kevin Merkley wrote:

> Does the valve open with the cable from the dash?
>
> Perhaps the cable is broken and the valve is stuck closed.
>
> If the valve opens, then whether the heater hoses are crossed or not,
> the water will still go through the valve.  If the valve won't open,
> then there will be no heat at all.
>
> The cable has a loop on both ends that slip over the stud at the dash
> lever and the stud on the valve lever.  You mentioned that you drilled a
>
> hole in something.  Perhaps the cable is too short and won't operate the
>
> valve correctly.
>
> You can repair the cable by getting a throttle or choke cable from a
> lawnmower and cutting it the correct length (taking into account the
> distance between the loops).
>
> If the valve operated correctly before you installed the heater, then
> disconnect the cable from the valve and manually operate the valve to
> see if you get heat.  Like I said, if the valve opens, the regardless of
>
> the heater hose orientation, you will get heat when the valve is open.
>
> Please keep us posted.
>
> regards,
>
> K.
>
> Jeff Adams wrote:
> >
> > I never thought about that... the fitting closest to the drive's side of
> >

> > the engine is hooked to the firewall fitting closest to the driver's
> > side. Does that sound right?
> > Cory Rempel wrote:
> > >

> > > Might be as simple as the heater hoses being reversed at the firewall.
> > > Happened to me more than once.  I just reversed the reversal and bam,
> > > killer heat!!
> > >

> > > Cory 65 Polara 2dr with a bad ass 440

> > Jeff Adams
> > 64 Polara