RE: Paddock is done?

Being in the industry I can tell you that everybody is hurting - sales have
plummeted since 2007 and many companies were way, way out on the financial
limb.  It takes a lot of cash to develop new products and many in the
industry were/are leveraged to the hilt.

It's understandable as things are tight all over - when the average Johnny
Lunchbucket finishes paying the bills, there's not much left over for car
parts.  It's the same if you own an old-car-related business, sales are off
40-60% and after you pay the bills there's not much left for new product
development, new equipment, advertising, etc.  We've dropped all of our
magazine advertising over the last two years just to cut cost and pinch
every penny to make sure we survive the next 2-3 years.

Owning a business doesn't mean you're rich.  Some have other business
interests that pay the bills, have a fully funded retirement, a spouse with
a good job with benefits, or are independently wealthy.  Many, including
myself, have invested everything they have to keep the doors open, and
sometimes it's just not enough.  You'll be seeing less vendors each year at
shows like the Classic Events or Mopar Nationals because of this and the
effect the internet has had on show trade.  It's not that the vendors don't
want to be there, or that they are "blowing off" the customers, it's simple
economics.  If it costs $10K to go to a show and you don't bring home a
profit, it's hard to justify the outlay as an advertising expense.

Try to bear this in mind when you call a vendor and get automated response
or are directed to the internet - having somebody sit at the phone at a good
hourly rate plus 20% or so burden comes right off the bottom line.  Quite
often we are all making parts and just can't get to the phone when it rings.

Just wanted to share the view from the other side - making Mopar parts isn't
like making Chevy parts - we have a very limited niche market with
comparitively low volumes, so parts do cost more.  Most of us do it because
we love the cars and the people.  This isn't an industry where you would
invest money to make big returns.

Rant mode off.

SC