From: John Hammond <426_maxwedge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:41:53 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Backspacing

I don't know if this will help anybody or not but I'll just throw this out
here in hopes somebody
can benefit from it.  On my '64 330 wagon I'm using a '70 B-body 8 3/4 with
the bigger but not
the biggest rear drums.  The original springs haven't been moved but I do
have a 2" lowering block
installed.  By trimming the inner fender lips about 1/4", (just to feel
safer not really required), and a
bit of wheelhouse massaging in the area that would be likely to scrub the
sidewall of the tire at the
topmost bulged area I was indeed able to mount some impressive rolling stock
without clearance
problems or major reconstruction.  After making some room and taking some
careful measurements
here's what worked, (and didn't work), on my longroof......
First Attempt:  Using a stock 8", (not 7"), Little Red Express chromed steel
slot, (4 1/2 backspace
as I recall, correct me if that's not right), I mounted a 255/60/15. This
fit everywhere with no isssues
whatsoever.  It looked like a sav-a-spare in there so I went to.....
Second Attempt:  Got hold of some old Centerline AutoDrag lookin', NoName,
pair off Ebay that
measured 9" with 3.75 backspacing.  Mounted a 265/50/15 and it had problems
in the top side
wall outer bulge area and the forward wheelip area was kinda scary. Which
brings us to....
Third Attempt: Borrowed a 15x10 aftermarket Chevy Rally copy that was dual
pattern drilled.
mounted a  295/50/15 CooperCobra tire on it and checked again. This
did/could have worked.
The top sidewall bulge was  clearing but a l'il tooo close for comfort.  If
it had worked great;
it wouldn't have stayed....no way was I puttin' Chevy wheels on a Mopar even
if they did have a
5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle. Which brought me to the combo of choice....
The Final Rollers:  Armed with this info, I searched the Summit site in
countlesss pages of part #'s
under Wheel Vintiques products.  I found that exactly what I wanted had a
part number and there-
by not a special order from a pricing perspective.  While I've forgotten the
number, what I ordered
was a Mopar Cop Wheel in 15x10 with 5" of backspacing.  Using the
aformentioned 295/50/15
CooperCobra this is about as good as it can get fittment wise. Room to
springs, room to lips, no
scrubbing - from jumping on the back bumper...and remember this is with two
inches of drop
on the stock springs.  The view from behind this thing makes Oprah's ass
look boney. Shoot for
4 3/4" or 5" backspacing on these things and it's surprising what will go
under there....
John Hammond