RE: Fickle headlights

I had a similar problem with my 64 sport fury and it was the dimmer switch.

-----Original Message-----
From: Butch Edison [mailto:waedison@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:55 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fickle headlights

I have a 64 Sport Fury at Lake Tahoe for the kickoff to Hot August Nights in Reno. Last night, while cruising, I noticed the headlights flickering, then we went into the hotel garage they went off entirely. Thought about it last night. This morning, I reached through the window and pulled the headlight switch, no key in the ignition.

No headlights, but the tail lights and dash lights worked. This was important to me, because if it came right down to it, could I directly wire the headlights to the battery while cruising, then untie them when done? I'd still have tail and brake lights.

Anyway, got in the car, started it up. Again I pulled the headlight switch to the ON position. No headlights. Turned away to talk to my wife, looked back, and had headlights.

There seems to be nothing I can do to replicate this. Drove the same route today and tonight with headlights on, checked reflections in the bumpers in front of me, and they worked fine. Turned the switch on/off multiple times, used the dimmer switch repeatedly, no luck making them fail again.

For what it's worth, I just did re-ground the headlights while I was cleaning up the metal in that area. Ground it down to bare metal, did the same to the ground wire, so if it's a bad ground, it's not there.

What do you suspect? I'm thinking a broken or loose wire after the switch, somewhere between the switch and the lights? The switch itself? Could the dimmer switch be the culprit?  This forum is the best at solving these problems so hope you will chime in.

Thanks/Butch/Ferndale, WA

----