Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:18 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Wheel Studs - Oversized Knurl ??

Hi,

I recently started the changeover to LH stud replacement to RH Studs.

The rear changed out fine, but the front presented problems.

As I had never changed a front stud, I got into the big lesson learned
with the front hub/drum.

Because these are Swedged in, I couldnt knock them out with a hammer and
wasnt aware of the correct procedure.  I took them to a guy I knew at a
driveline shop and asked him to press out the studs.  (My mistake),
which he did as I asked.  I basically told him to almost ruin my drum
and hub.

When he went to press in the new studs, As you can figure, Because these
were original swedged studs, Pressing them out thru the back caused
opened up the holes larger than the replacments stud's knurl would fit.

Has anyone run into this situation and know how much larger I should
go?  These are 10 " drums with 7/16 Stud and originally a .555" knurl.
I'm in colorado, where studs are easier to get and can go into the parts
store and have them bring out the original and sizes larger.

The other option that someone presented me was to weld the new studs I
got onto the hub.  Not sure if I like this option, but also curious if
someone's done this?

All help very appreciated.

--Tom

-----