RE: Poly/graphite bushings

My $.02 on the Polyurethane/Polygraphite debate...

Straight (100%) polyurethane was the basis of the squeaking complaints.
Manufacturers started adding graphite to the mix to eliminate the squeaking.
Teflon grease was effective but needed to be re-applied when the squeaking
started up again.  Graphite seems to do the job.

Poly bushings tighten up the suspension - I just cruise and run down the
dragstrip, so poly isn't important to me.  Some guys like their cars to
handle firmer, and the poly works well for them.  My neighbor put a set in
his '65 Coronet and feels that they make the car ride too rough.

The only caution I have is the strut rod bushings.  The strut rods are
heavily loaded (in tension) on braking - braking on bumps/railroad tracks,
etc. increases this loading significantly.  Rubber helps dampen the stresses
placed on the front of the K-member, where urethane transfers most of the
shock.  I have seen K-members with the front sides of the strut rod bushing
bearing surfaces cracked, reportedly due to urethane use.  If I were going
to run poly bushings, I wouldn't run them on the strut rods, without
reinforcing the K-member.

Again, just my $.02 (did anybody see the $.02 question on Jeopardy last
night?)  :P

SC