timing key update

Hi all,

An update on changing the timing chain on a poly 318. Reminder: I was having a problem removing the key in the  crank. Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried them and never did get the key out. That sucker is "one" with the crank! So I tried the tip from club member Darwin: I used a small pipe that was big enough to fit over the crank to push on the lower timing gear, tapped on the gear, adjusting the chain/top gear accordingly as the assembly slid on.

Then I spent some time yesterday putting the rest of the stuff back on the engine. Only one setback: when I put the timing gear cover on and was ready to put on the water pump I noticed in the parts box the crankshaft oil slinger sitting there staring at me. Duh! It's definitely not better R&R the timing chain cover the second time around! :) Better then than after all the other stuff was put back on, though!

One quick question: the torque for the crankshaft pulley bolt is 135 foot pounds. Using a torque wrench spins the engine, so do I just tighten the bolt full in until using the ratchet the crank spins, then use the electric impact wrench I have and turn the bolt slightly, say 1/3 more?

Thanks,
Gary H.

----