Torquflite tolerances

It's been my good fortune to have had Pat Blais (Tflite Patty on Ebay and a
vendor on our forum) show my wife and I how to take a Torqueflite apart,
inspect it, repair it, and reassemble it. Actually, she did the whole thing
under his direction. I just watched and took some notes and pictures. Not
like I'm at all qualified to do any of that BUT, I did learn a couple of
things some of you might not know, at least I didn't. If you are interested,
I'll post some stills and video to a website and send you a link. They were
things I'd never thought of before, but that make good sense. Me? I just
always figure you take one transmission out and plunk another one in. Good
to go.....

The first thing is checking flex plate deviation with a dial indicator. I
don't have the spec sheet in front of me, but the aftermarket flex plate in
my wife's 37 Plymouth hot rod with a 340, was .080", way out of spec. A new
correct flex plate should cure that. I'll check once we put it on the engine
and button up the transmission.

Second thing was crankshaft to Torqueflite alignment. This one really
interested me. Realizing that these are 50 (+) year old motors and
transmissions that may have been gone through many times, there is a good
likelihood that the two components are not aligned, especially if the block
has been align bored and not done exactly right. I learned how to check that
using an old bell housing. In our case, good news, the total misalignment
was .006", within the .008" tolerance allowed. Had it been more, I would
have gotten some offset engine dowel pins from pat to pull the Torqueflite
back into spec.

So the pics I've taken are not all that great, as it's pretty hard to get up
into the bell housing once you have a dial indicator rigged up, but if you
are interested, I'll take the time to upload the pics somewhere and try to
explain what I'm doing if it doesn't look self-evident.

//Butch/ Ferndale, WA

----