RE: Our cars

Same here with my dad. He would watch me as I worked on a vehicle and explain and point out how and why something was done.
When I bought my first car...1948 Chevy Coupe...He said, I'll show and help you but you are doing the work, because it's the only way to learn.
My wife won't let me change the oil on her 2006 Turbo Diesel VW Jetta because I don't do it when she wants it done.   Factory recommends 6,000 miles between changes and she is religious about changing at 3,000. I found a slip for an oil change at our local Jiffy Lube and the charge for oil and filter was $85.00.. Nothing but Mobile one oil and NAPA filter. (Mobil does not make a filter for the VW). My 98 Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel oil change costs me less than that and I use 11 quarts of Mobile One oil and filter. Did I mention that women are not logical.
Learned to do plumbing, wiring, drywall on my own and it has saved us thousands of dollars also.
It's weird that none of my kids do any of this type of work on their own. I guess that gene didn't get passed on..though my 6 year old grand son looks to be a good candidate to carry on....That is if I keep the breather on the carb and hammers out of his hand...Re: two busted pistons and scored cylinder walls and chipped paint on my new Victory Motorcycle. I mus love him because I didn't kill him after those incidents..
Later
Bill Harrison
65 Coronet 2 dr post.