physics type question regarding exhaust

Hi all, hey, I am just wondering and realize I have never known why
cars do this.
   Why does water come out of tailpipes?? I was sitting at a light and
the car ahead of me took off and some water trickled out of the
tailpipe. I have seen this umpteen times and always wondered why.
   here's my guess: reverse condensation. If u put cold beer into a
glass, in a hot room, the glass will start to sweat, because the beer
is colder than the room ( basically).
   In a car the air inside the exhaust pipe  is much hotter than the
surrounding air so the exhaust pipe sweats on the inside. Yes???
No?????
    Thats only a guess, somebody told me it means the head gaskets
blown and coolant is getting into combustion chamber. I dunno that
sounds kind of iffy.
     I know when u hold your hand up to an exhaust pipe it feels kind
of moist. I remember my dad would do this when he went to look at a
car.. In fac the would kind of push his hand onto the pipe and sort of
try to stop it. What was he doing , or thinking he was doing. Maybe it
was just some dumb kind of tire kicking thing that doesn't reallly
tell you anything. If the car had dual exhaust he would cap both pipes
with both hands.
   Ahh Dad, miss you Dad and all the cars we used to go look at, and
you'd never let me buy.
  Neal ZImmerman, Eugene Oregon