Re: funny Dad memory

Great story! No apologies necessary!

----- Original Message -----
From: "neal zimmerman" <neal.zimmerman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 10:17:00 AM
Subject: funny Dad memory

LOL, my last post about my Dad and the exhaust pipes reminded me of
this story. When I was a kid and wanted my first car I drug my dad
everywhere with me, because I didn't know much.I knew I liked Mopars
because my friend Harlan did, and dad always had them probably because
his first job after coming home from fighting in the Pacific in WW2
was at the Dodge plant in San Leandro California.
   So anyway, one car we went to look at and  that day I learned an
important lesson .  We went to look at a 1969 AMC Javelin SST with a
390 and a 4 speed. The thing was cool. I remember it was metallic
green with slot hole mags, all for the price of , I believe, about
1500 dollars ( !!!!!) The guy threw us the keys and told us to take it
for a spin. I jumped in with Dad in the passenger seat and took off
for the back roads behind the little town the car was from. I was
pretty confused by the four speed, really not doing  too well with it
and the clutch, so I had the bright idea to let dad try it, as he was
more familiar with 4 speeds and could drive it better, so we could get
a more accurate idea of how good of shape the car was in. Big mistake.
I pulled over to the side of the country road, and  we switched seats.
Dad underestimated the car I guess and on a shift from 1 to 2, just
about sent us cartwheeling down the wet road.  He gained control of
the car , looked a little emberassed , and just said, " Boy, this
things  sure got a lot of power".  I knew what that meant and all hope
began to seal over for my 17 year old mind. By the time we got back to
the guys place, dad had informed me it was too much of a car for me,
and I would kill myself.
  Moral: never let Dad test drive the car you want to buy. Unless its
4 cylinder.
   Sorry about that guys, I waxed philosophic there for a moment. I
just lost Dad on New Years day at the age of 89, so I guess I am still
kind of tender about him. When people criticize me for being a
gearhead I always blame it on my Dad. He taught me the basics. I
remember him talking me through  my first oil change on a slant six.
  I'm gonna go cry now.
  Neal ZImmerman, Eugene Oregon