Re: POR 15 horror

I've been paying $42. to $47 a quart from various distributors for POR-15 for years and years. How much had you previously spent on that quantity? If a PPG product is that inexpensive I'd have to question if it is indeed on a level with POR-15. Normally if you are buying PPG you are buying the best and paying a premium for the product at the same time. I guess you could do a A to B real world test to know for sure....Paint the back of one hand with POR and the back of the other with the PPG and see which you wear longer. I know from personal experience that a light coat of POR will go a good three weeks of hand washing with pumice infused pro-level hand cleaners. Get it on your head and you will probably resort to a mechanical removal proceedure via butter knife or 220 grit wet-or-dry. There are two aspects about POR-15 I find especially appealing, (and I am not at all familiar with the PPG product, but these would weigh heavilly in my decision to use it or not), 1st, POR's attribute of cure in moisture....if you a killing rust that started due to a wet location; using an encapsulater that hardens in dampness is genius. 2nd, the sound deadning qualities it emparts, I can attest to a very noticeable drop in sheetmetal resonance and resultant interior noise levels with the use of the product. Driving my 65 Belvedere, sans carpet, prior to, and then after the coating top side, (interior), only....purely for the sake of compairison...the noise level drop was dramatic. Based on those findings, in my '64 330 wagon got both sides of the floorpan area doused in the nasty black goo, prior to some serious floorboard insulation escapades.....can we say Mercedes? Maybe not...but normal conversations are easy as cake in there. I'm a believer in the evil ebony ooze from Hell and would be reluctant to even give anything else a day in court considering the outstanding performance it's provided for me over the years. Yes it's pricey, but to me it's been proven to work and that peace of mind makes sporting splotches on you your person in public for a month a bit easier to deal with......John Hammond ----- Original Message ----- From: "neal zimmerman" <neal.zimmerman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:11 PM
Subject: POR 15 horror

Imagine my horror today when I went to my auto body and paint supply
shop to find that POR 15 is now 45 a quart!!! Or 155 a gallon!! I have
the floors all done in the 62 Dart and want to embalm them above and
below, but not for that much. I wondered what the local Miller paints
store had , so I went there and I got a PPG 2-part direct to   metal
epoxy for 89 dollars for a one gallon kit, which makes 2 gallons of
finished product. Its a 1 to 1 ratio so I can make up a quart at a
time.They showed me a beam with it on and its hard as a rock. Wanna
bet its every bit as good as POR at 1/4 the cost.  ??
  Neal zimmerman, Eugene oregon