Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 2:28 AM
Subject: Re: 440 Change over,, "Advise/Tec help"

You know I ment to tell you, that motor would look so good in my car.  Such a pretty motor in an ugly car.  LOL  j/k

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Stephen Andrachek <s.andrachek@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As many times as I proofread my memo, l see errors now.  I don't mean you want torque to start coming in at like 5,000 rpm's, but that's the way a sentence in a below paragraph sounded to me.  Most every engine on the planet crossed torque (they are exactly the same) at about 5240 rpm.  On my engine, at 3000 rpm I'm already pulling 307 ft.lbs. there and it keeps going up to 562.2 torque and 572 hp at I think at 5,900 rpm and at 571 hp at 6200 rpm.  But I think you need to build your engine lighter and if you don't beat the crap out of it like I do, you can have a lighter cam and a different rear end for better gas milage.  The carb has to be tuned different on the dyno because the carbs and the exhaust are wide open and they can control things from outside the engine room in case something breaks bad or a fire starts.  My engine was run at only 140 degrees and on 93 octane gas, both of which cost
me horsepower.  I would have hit just over 600 HP with room to grow with not too much money, far less than building a new engine costs.

The engine will richen up when you put mufflers on and even more with the air filter
on unless you have a very unrestrected air filter or a cold air intake and a little screen filter (not for the street).  You have to rejet every time you change something and carter's (Edlebrock's now) sells the Thunder series carbs (hand choke) or some other series costing more with electric choke.  That's the way to go, the electric choke and a jet and metering rod kit from Jeg's or your local guy, if you have one.  Running rich after bolting in your engine is expected because the makers of the carb don't want you to blow up your engine by being too len.  Better safe than sorry.
 One 750 should do you well.  My engine never hit over 700 and there was 1,500 cfm available.  Here is where a good intake is important.  Hughes has the dope on that too.  Go to their home page and read the technical articles there and you can find what you are looking for and they test a lot of manifolds and three of the best for big blocks turned out to be the old BB two four barrel setup from Edelbrock, the six-pack intake.  This is all for small port-heads, not max wedge sized head ports.
For max wedge heads the best were the original ones at a very even low 300 cfm intake on each port.  Other intakes vary as much as over 60 for all types of intakes and Hughes can make all of them better, some more-so than others.  The Indy Big Sucker (very high and has huge ports) is aboutr $640 and flows more air through the port than the port to the engine does.  That's the ideal and pick your intake with care AFTER reading some test articles.  Check out what magazines like "Mopar Muscle" and "Mopar Action" are building and testing.  They are a good source to say what Hughes doesn't and have some good tips themselves and advirtise all things Mopar in one of the Mopar mags and pick up all the info you can by reading, looking and asking questions.  I'm no know it all and I'm learning a lot here.  Most questions I don't have an answer for so I don't give any advice.  Then I learn by reading the other comments.  I like the idea too of having the answers sent to everyone and the private emails are great too, but I's always curious as to how things turn out and it seems like everyone is doing that anyway and I like it that way.

If you call for parts and Hughes asks you why you want that kind of part with the other parts you are buying?  It won't work good with those parts.  This other part will give you more HP for maybe less cost, same cost or a litttle more cost.

I dealt with Hughes and I highly recommend them.  They are all Mopar all the time and very nice and helpful and they will have most of what you need.  You can get most anything for a RB (what Hughes calls a BB) so don't get confused.   The site looks a little intimidating at first but isn't hard to use at all.  Look at the tech articles.  Look at the HP and Torque.  Click on those charts to make them bigger.  Check out what works with what.  Hint, the wilder the cam, the better the heads, intake, etc. are what makes all engines go and makes them suitable for the street, street/strip or all out racing.

Chick   (more below, belive it or not)