Re: Welcome to new member - 1964 Chrysler 300

Re: Welcome to new member - 1964 Chrysler 300

Thank you for the intro, Gary!

I've had my car (as stated earlier: '64 300 non-letter that is as far
as I can tell, completely stock, except for the Pertronix ignition)
for about a month, and I still don't know enough about it. I did say
that I had many questions, so here are a few to start...

My latest questions are all over the place, so here they are: will
heads and exhaust manifolds/headers that work in a RB-engine work also
with a B-engine, assuming they fit the car? Obviously, the header has
to be designed for the car, and I know *intakes* from the RBs won't
fit. But if a header or exhaust part fits a '65 C-body, shouldn't it
fit my car as well? Shouldn't all valve covers fit as well? Well,
other than the intake manifolds, all the external parts are
interchangeable between the B and RB, right? What about the Max Wedge?
That's a slightly different animal, right?

Does anyone know where I can find weatherstrip for my car? Steele
Rubber doesn't seem to carry much of anything for my four-door
hardtop. It seems that Kanter doesn't, either. So far, I've had the
best luck looking though Restoration Specialties' catalog, but even
that is limited for C-bodies before '65. (Yes, I know '65 was the
first "official" year for the C-body)

I've got a leak on both sides that would fill the front wheel wells if
I hadn't pulled the plugs from the floor. Door seals, perhaps?

I'd like to change the differential oil, and I'm wondering if it would
be a good or bad idea to replace it with synthetic. I'm a firm
believer in synth motor oil and tranny fluid, but I don't know about
gear oil with 50-year-old gears. I can't imagine synth doing anything
except improving things out back, but I figure I better ask.

Is there any reason I shouldn't go with a thermostatically-controlled
radiator fan? It seems like I could gain a couple HP, or maybe at
least gain a tenth of a MPG. ;)

Will changing the stock air cleaner to an open element do anything
other than possibly make the engine louder? That's not exactly a bad
thing, but it's not worth the money if it's not worth a few HP. The
same question regarding a dual exhaust: without changing the intake
and exhaust, is a dual exhaust going to do anything, other than make
the engine louder?

Has anyone installed rear seat belts in a car? Where are the best
places to drill the holes? Of course I have the mounting hardware...

Does anyone know of a company that sells spark plug wires WITHOUT a
90-degree boot on the plug end, other than wires to fit a Hemi? I
haven't been able to find any, other than the wires you make yourself,
which might not be a bad option. This beast likes to burn the boots on
the wires (the week-old boots on the Pertronix wires are already
burned, as were the old wires), and the heat shield tubing I bought
won't go over the 90-degree bend. I'm sure I'm not the only person
with this problem...

I think that's it for the moment.

Thanks again for any help!
~S~