Re: Disc brakes and front brakes on the rear?... a couple questions (rep

Re: Disc brakes and front brakes on the rear?... a couple questions (repost)

I read somewhere (don't ask where, I don't know - lol ) that the
brakes were different front to back. They must have been thinking of
the Newport, which, according to the service manual, has narrower rear
brakes. Another thing that bolstered my belief that the brakes were of
a different size is that the front shoes are $10 more than the rears.
Could it be that they are indeed different in some way, or are the
companies like Auto Zone just confused? From the way the manual looks,
the shoes are essentially the same. Any opinions on that?

So, does anyone have an opinion on what WILL fit my car,
disc-brake-wise? Six hundred bucks for a kit is too rich for my blood
right now, considering all the other stuff I have to get done on the
car, like the windshield and the weatherstrip... and paint... and
cleaning up the surface rust... lol

Thanks!
~S~