Date: 10/6/2011 9:20:30 AM
Subject: Re: Leaf spring rearch questions

I had my springs re-arched last spring (no pun intended).  I'm sure
finding the right shop is key.  I measured from the ground to the top
of the wheel well.  Then jacked it up to where I wanted it and
measured again.  I removed the springs myself and brought them in with
the measurements.  I took them to Noel at Long Island Spring Works,
who's been doing it since 1963.  He's a bit of a local legend around
here among the guys who know.  They look great and it was only $170
total for both springs including adding a new leaf, paint, bushings
and new U-bolts.  Plus it was 24 hour turn-around.  Nice deal.  They
came out perfect.

If they're going to sag in a few years, I'm sure he wouldn't have the
great reputation he does.  Ask around your area; maybe you have a
local Mopar group you could get opinions from.  Or truck mechanics;
they re-arch trucks all the time.

If you take them off yourself, pay close attention to the shackles;
mine had a little 'tab' on one side that could go either forward or
backward; I got confused putting back together which way it should go.
  My other 63 didn't have the 'tab'.

If you don't find someone in your area you're comfortable with, give
them a call.  I don't know if they deal with receiving and shipping,
but it couldn't hurt to give them a call.  If not, you could ship to
me and I'll bring them over for you.
Long Island Spring Works, 140 Elk St, Wyandanch, NY. Tel: 631-253-4444
  Ask for Noel.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge)