Re: Younger vs Older Generations (Was - Original 65 Hemi lightweight for

Re: Younger vs Older Generations (Was - Original 65 Hemi lightweight for sale)

I know what you're talking about when you say instant gratification. Man, if I want somethin I want it now and done now and it kills me till I finish something lol

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Dave64 <lt7dave@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cool, Jim. My daughter is hooked by drag racing, too, and makes us take her to a national event every year, now.  We've been to Indy, Gainesville, Brainerd, Joliet, and Charlotte - and also good old Union Grove - down state from us.  She even gets the old timers and we have pics of her with Don Garlits at several different events and also Shirley Muldowney.  She always routes for the Greek and enjoys looking at his old time trailer and bare bones operation in the pits.  That's a neat snapshot back in time that we still get to see today.  Boy, does she have the racing shirts, too!

But you know - I suspect that your boys' interest in this stuff is really rooted in the same place as my daughter's.  I think they are into it because we are into it and they dig their dads the most.  So they tend to get into the same things as us because we spend a lot of time with them and are close.  And that's really the best part of it for me.

Dave
'64 Belvedere 2DHT
318 Poly, Push Button Auto
Originally Florida A/C Car
From: Jim Altemose <jaltemoose@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: Younger vs Older Generations (Was - Original 65 Hemi lightweight for sale)

I'll chime in now that it's a separate thread.  I'm inclined to agree
with DJ. I'm not sure if I have a real point at the end of my
ramblings, but what the hell.

I'm 47; born 1 year later than my two '63's.  My first intro to cars
was when I was about 10 and was reading my Uncle's car magazines in
the early 70's, mostly to check out the Big Daddy Roth T-shirt ads in
back.  I also watch Speed Racer religiously.  My Uncle took me to the
local circle tracks, Islip Speedway and Freeport, through the late
70's (Islip invented the 'demolition derby' back in 1958).

In 1985 or so, I bought my first car which was a 1970 Chevy Bel Air 4
door with a 350 for $250.  It was battleship grey with a black vinyl
top; rusty as hell, but STRONG on the highway.  At the time, my
friends called it the "Bluesmobile" and it was just cheap
transportation.  After that I had Fox 4 cylinder Mustang, a 72 Montego
and then a string of 80's and 90's blah blah blah cars.

But I always missed and liked that 70 Chevy the best.  Simple,
powerful and had character.  When we had our first kid in 2000, my
wife said I needed a bigger car than the Toyota Celica I was driving,
so I picked up an Orange 72 4-speed SS Chevelle (I'm not sure that's
what she intended).  I drove that for a couple of years and that's
what really got me more serious about muscle cars.  The more I
learned, the more I liked about them and the more I worked on mine.

I also came to realize that Mopar had everything dialed up to '11'
compared to Chevy or Ford.  The paint and styling were cooler, the
engines more interesting and powerful and definitely the hobbyists
more knowledgeable, loyal and hardcore.  For whatever reason, I
gravitated toward the early 60's Mopars.  The look, the racing history
and especially the Max Wedge engine all hit me between the eyes when I
discovered them and I sold my Chevelle.  I can still remember right
where I was when I turned the page in a book and saw the Max Wedge for
the first time and said "Holy crap!  That's what I like!"

So, what's, my point?  I'm sure guys like myself and the other
sub-50ers are the exception rather than the rule.  I didn't grow up in
the early 60's living this stuff myself.  But I wish I did and I know
more about the Ramchargers than about anything that happened in the
80's.  So, I think there will always be some group of younger people
who appreciate and love this stuff.  Unfortunately, I can see it
dwindling, especially as fossil fuels and internal combustion engines
become verboten.

But I do know my 7 and 11 year old boys dig our cars more and more as
they get older, and ask "what's this do?" and "can I help?" and wear
Rat Fink and Nitrofish T-shirts and have walked down the Englishtown
track with Don Garlits, so it can't be all bad.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge)
'63 Polara 500 (383)
'65 Belvedere I (Street Wedge)
'71 Bronco

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Dave64 <lt7dave@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm closing in on 49.  I feel lucky that I was at an age in HS when factory
> muscle cars were affordable, used cars.  My first car was a '70 GTX.  We had
> a lot of great cars back then.  My daughter is 19, and she digs our old cars
> and drag racing big time.  But you are right - I don't know that she has the
> patience to put 10 years into a car to get it on the road at this point.
> But at that age - I wouldn't have either.  That probably has more do do with
> her age than her generation.  But her generation is into instant
> gratification, like you said.  And I think we're all getting that way to
> some degree.  I can't imagine going back to the days of having to order a
> catalog by mail to look at parts to then order by mail to get to you.  The
> computer age is a wonderful thing for our hobby.
>
> Daughter loves the new Challengers as well - so do I.  But I look at the
> price - and for a car I can't drive in WI winters - for that price - I can
> buy a '70 Challenger (and can actually work on it).  I'd still have a new
> one if I had a lot of money I didn't know what to do with.  (That'll never
> happen.)  Maybe I'll buy a used one some years down the road.
>
> Dave
> '64 Belvedere 2DHT
> 318 Poly, Push Button Auto
> Originally Florida A/C Car

Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. That is, send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!