Re: pinging surprise

Okay. Man that stuff isn't cheap either, add an extra 10 bucks to every fill up :-/.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Eric Sturgis <ericsturgis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry I ment Premium, thought the right word typed the wrong one and hit send.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Bill Paxton <wmp4@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I recall correctly Sunoco had the highest rating for Premium and it was 104

From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric Sturgis
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:10 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: pinging surprise

103 was Regular gas, back then.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 6:10 AM, jacob fox <imfast101@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hey guys, a while back i posted about a pinging issue i was having. I filled up the other day with just the "plus" fuel not the premium thinking, hell its almost 50 years old, with all the wear im sure its not gonna matter. Well i was wrong. It seemed like i could barely touch accelerator without it pinging and if i gave it a lot it was ridiculous. So, on the way home i filled up half a tank of premium. I went to Oriellys and bought a bottle of some "hyper lube" octane booster, supposed to boost it by 7 points. I added that and bounced the car to get it to mix. I took it for a drive and there was absolutely no ping. I was surprised. I have never checked the compression on my 383 but im guessing it still must hold close to original specs if the manual says to use 103 gas, which im guessing was premium in 64, I almost have this tank empty, and i plan on filling up with premium and then adding another bottle. Wont be 103 but close enough....

I know a while back someone was talking about cooler plugs. I think in my 383, which has never been rebuilt btw, i have autolite 84s or something close to that i believe. ill have to check. When i changed them i had some champion plugs in it, but i could tell it didnt idle well and run good, now it seems fine but im unsure if those are "hot" plugs.

--
Jacob Fox
'64 Dodge Custom 880

Eric