Re: Turbine Car

You can read some interesting ideas of the reasons why they crushed them.  http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/11/the-truth-about-why-chrysler-destroyed-the-turbine-cars/
But they did not give up on turbine cars until 1979 or so.

I think the first one was in 1954 and was a Plymouth.  They did it again in 1955, and 1956 Plymouths.  Then next was a 1959 Plymouth 4 door HT.  All of those cars were regular production cars fitted with the Turbines.    My Chrysler book shows a 1961 show car with the Turbine called the CR2A and a 1960 Plymouth 4 door HT (fury I think) and a 1960 Dodge 2 1/2 ton Truck.  They next made a 1962 Dodge Turbo Dart, 4 door HT and a Plymouth Turbo Fury that was a producion car too with the turbine.  Next they made the 50+ 1963 Copper colored cars.  They next made a 1966 Dodge Coronet that they tested and beat on until 1973.  They won a contract in 1972 to build a car for the EPA to evaluate for emissions.  It looks like a 1973 Satile to me.  They also did a Dodge in 1973 for NASA, they list the cars as intermediate.  Not sure what they are, I hated the look of the '70's.  They next made a 1976 Dodge Aspen and a turbine concept car, a restyled 1977 LeBaron 2 door.  Talk about a mugly car.  I belive the last 2 cars they made were turned over to the US Department of Energy along with all the data they had learned from the 1950+.  Turbine cars will work but there are better choices.  After all Steam cars go, and can go fast, but there are better choices to make a car go.

I'm sure I've missed some of the cars....but you get the idea.  They acitvly tried to make it work over 20 years, just didn't work well.  But they were neat things that's for sure.

--
Eric
Tacoma, WA