From: "Dodger7998@xxxxxxx" <Dodger7998@xxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, December 29, 2011 12:55:22 PM
Subject: 65 Plymouth (non-air) heater valve repair

Replacing the seal in a Ranco water valve on 65 Plymouth heater.  The new seal is about the size of a quarter,  to replace it, it is necessary to straighten 2 sets of 4 tabs and removal of two clips, one of them is used to keep the plunger connected to the valve, the other just to keep the assembly from falling apart.    There are only 8 pieces to the assembly so not hard to keep track of their order.  After cleaning parts the new seal was set in place, the valve reinserted, the top hat and hairpin type clip were installed, next was the re bending of the first set of tabs, we used the arbor on a drill press to keep the parts firmly held together while bending them.  After this step we pressure tested to check our work, after an hour with 18 lb. of pressure and no leak down we installed the capillary assembly to the valve by re bending the 4 tabs holding in on, and reinstalled the spring clip connecting the two pieces. Not counting the R&R time of the heater, the repair took about 2 hours....... Dodger
new and old seals with a quarter for size comparison
water valve completely disassembled
new seal in place
we used the arbor on a drill press to hold the pieces together while re bending the tabs
seal installed and tabs bent  back in place