Re: Exhaust note

While I haven't got any info on their use with a small block, I've used Walker/DynoMax Hemi Super Turbos on everything, for years and years. By Everything I mean 440's, 383's, 389 Pontiacs, and yes even the occasional smallblockchevy....Those who comment on the tone, (and there are a bunch of 'em), always wanna know what it is and mention how good they sound. Best described as really really deep and powerful in a sleeper kinda way. Like something is doing a pretty good job of hiding what it's capable of. Deep and low enough of a frequency that you feel it more than you hear it. Now the bad news, 1. they are BIG, and might be hard to mount on an A-body but check them out and see if the case dimensions will work. 2. I haven't been able to get the tone mentioned without the use of a minimum of a 2-1/2" or larger pipe. 3. Few people know about these, and will attempt to sell you the fairly easy to find Walker/Dynomax Super Turbo. They are Not the same. Considerably smaller case, and the internals are probably different as well. I think the tone is in the case size or some other such voodoo. I personally like these best when ended before the rearend; but I have found them to also be quite pleasing with a full exhaust as long as the pipe diameter stays the same 2-1/2" or larger. 4. They will probably have a slight resonance at a certain cruising RPM; noticeable, but not intoleable. Nowhere near a irritating Flowmaster drone that gets old pretty quick. 5. a little pricey but not crazy money....they are durable though. I've put 55,000 miles through the set on my Pontiac, and they sound even better as they age. Hope this helps to some degree...I bought my most recent pair through Summit but I had to ask for them and be really specific about what I was looking for.
John Hammond

From: "goldsignet" <wlhodges01@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse" <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:40 PM
Subject: Exhaust note

Hello all,

I'm having a tough time narrowing my choices for a new muffler/exhaust
system.
I have a 65 Valiant with an unmodified, 2 barrel 273.   I'd like to
install something
with a little rumble, but not so much that the neighbors will throw
some stink-eye
at me when I start her up at 6:30 to head off to work.
I've heard plenty of Flowmasters, and other "loud-type"  systems, but
they all seem
to be on large modified engines so it's kinda hard to judge how much
noise a smaller
stock-cammed engine would make.
Flowmaster has a nice website that has sound examples of their various
systems...
but it's just hard to judge.
Any comments or opinions will be appreciated!

Walt