Re: paint job

Don't make me drive out to CO for a damn paint job.  I just might drive my car that far to get it done.....I don't have any rust issues or major damage....why shops here are so expensive I'll never know.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Christopher Glick <mrchristopher1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have to agree with Mo. So many Variables... most of the cost in a paint job is the labor of the prep work.  Dent removal, rust removal, patch panels, floorboards will all factor into cost.  That said if the body is in good shape and you're scuffing the paint and not stripping it, then your cost will be way down. In regards to paint...you get what you pay for. Never would i take a bicycle much less a car to Maaco...period!  At my buddy's shop (I work on the side there) we use PPG and HOK.  However, we will use whatever the customer wants, but can only warrenty our paint.  We do warrenty our work on everything though.  Cost, well I'll spend close to 2k just for my paint as doing a whole car like a 64 Dodge uses alot.  You also factor in how many base coats, clear coats you're putting on.  Mine is 5 coats base / 5 coats clear. Yes, it is more then needed as 3 coats is pretty much the standard, but this one is mine so I'm bury-ing it in paint.  Sorry for the long post.

Not sure if it's ok or not Gary, but here's a link to the shop gallery.
http://www.bodyworksbysteve.com/gallery.html

Christopher Glick

----- Original Message -----
From: MO <micher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:40:36 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: paint job

There are a lot of variables in a paint job. How much prep work needs
to be done- Quality of paint- skill of painter- etc. Maaco says they
will do it for 1/2 price now, I think less than 400$, but what do you
get for your money?  I am buying materials for painting my car, and
Nason ( lower priced Du Pont)  is over $400 for just the primer and
reducers! and that is body shop price. I would like to hear more info
from other members................MO

On Jan 27, 12:03 pm, jacob fox <imfast...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hey guys, i went today asking around for a price to paint my car. Going
> back with same color, they are gonna take all the chrome off etc to do it,
> smooth out any bumps etc...anyways, seems the price is gonna be about 3500
> dollars. Does this sound about right or too high? i always hear at car
> shows how these guys have super nice paint jobs and it only cost them like
> 1500 bucks. lol
>
> --
> Jacob Fox
> '64 Dodge Custom 880

Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. That is, send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. That is, send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

Eric
Tacoma, WA
1962 Chrysler Newport 2 door HT