Date: 2/6/2012 5:51:58 PM
Subject: survivor?

Now this may seem like a completely retarded question, but why is the term "survivor" given to only original cars that are in "pristine" condition?  Technically isn't any car that reaches a certain age, and is still driving around, a survivor?

Take my 65 Polara for example.  It's mostly original with the exception the drivers door, front seat and most of the power train.  I say most of the the power train cuz the centre section of the original tranny is intact.  Replaced 318 with a 440 and had to use the original "gear box" between the big block bell housing and tail shaft.  Oh and the rims and tires are not original either.

So because these few things are not OEM pieces, does that mean my car has not "survived"?  Better yet, is my car worth less because I've improved it by adding a bigger engine or putting better looking rims and rubber on it?  I guess I'm just sick of people putting so much stock in to the concept of originality.

Thanks for reading my rant.  I'm looking forward to your hate mail.

Cory Rempel
65 Polara  440/727