Re: Brake blues!

Jacob,

Take it slow and steady here; don't just rush out and buy the first
set of drums you find.  Here's my 2 cents of things to consider.

1. The hub and lugs are 'swaged' to the drum.  You cannot drive out
the studs with a hammer or a press or you will ruin the hub.  And hubs
are VERY hard to find.  Drums you can get.  But you really don't want
to screw up the hub.  You MUST find a shop who understands what Mopar
swaging is and has the right tool.  If they don't know what 'swaging'
is, go somewhere else; don't give them a chance to "figure it out".
You'll want to reuse your old hubs with new drums and lugs.

2. Be leery of off the shelf new drums from NAPA or anywhere else.
Most new repros are made in China from cheap crap metal.  Many of the
seasoned veterans on this board will attest to Chinese drums warping
after a few hundred or thousand miles.  Try to find an old time expert
in your area.  See if they can get drums made by an American company
like Timken.  I know a local guy here on Long Island who can help but
he's not real high-tech so I'm not sure about shipping and such.  But
I can give you his name and number if you need it.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge)
'63 Polara 500 (383)