Re: Brake blues!

Those brakes were originally supplied by Bendix - drums, shoes, hold
down parts, adjusters - the works.

But virtually all brake companies made after market parts for all
companies.  Thus Wagner made drums and shoes for Bendix brakes.

Wagner is an old name in the brake business.  Wagner Electric acquired
Lockheed, the main developer of hydraulic brakes in North America
(with a little help from the Three Musketeers), in 1932 but developed
a more 'normal' line of brakes under the Wagner name with designs
similar to Bendix (who got into hydraulic brakes around 1938).

Lockheed began losing customer base in the 1940's but Wagner usually
picked up the lost business.  Wagner first offered self-adjusting
brakes in 1947 (Studebaker) and dual master cylinders (Rambler 1962
and Studebaker 1963).  They are now part of Federal-Mogul and are the
world's largest supplier of brakes and brake-related items.
Federal-Mogul also owns Abex, an old aftermarket supplier of brake
parts.

Bendix is also still around, for years part of Allied Signals, but now
part of Honeywell Friction Materials.  Another old name in brakes,
Raybestos (1902), is also still going strong..

Lockheed Brakes was founded by Alan Loughead, who changed the spelling
of his last name to more closely match the pronounciation.  His
brother Alan, who also changed his last name to Lockheed, was into
airplanes.

Bill
Toronto, ON