Re: 1964 Plymouth fender tag

William,

The 5th digit of the VIN should tell you what engine it came with.  See below.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge)
'63 Polara 500 (383)
'65 Belvedere I (Street Wedge)
'71 Bronco

VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER

BS27R0B295961

EXAMPLE:
B=Baracuda
S=Price Class (Special)
27=Body Type (Convertible)
R=Engine (426 CID, V8 HEMI)
0=Model Year (1970)
B=Assembly Plant (Hamtramck, MI)
295961=Assembly Plant Sequential Serial Number

First Digit - Car Line
B=Barracuda
D=Polara/Monaco
J=Challenger
L=Dart
P=Fury
R=Belvedere/Satellite
V=Valiant/Duster
W=Coronet
X=Charger

Second Digit - Price Class
E=Economy
H=High
K=Police
L=Low
M=Medium
N=Taxi (New York)
O=Super Stock
P=Premium
S=Special
T=Taxi

Third and Fourth Digits - Body Type
21=Two Door Sedan
23=Two Door Hardtop
27=Convertible
29=Two Door Sport Hardtop
41=Four Door Sedan
43=Four Door Hardtop
45=Station Wagon (Two Seat)
46=Station Wagon (Three Seat)

Fifth Digit - Engine
A=170 CID, 6 Cylinder (1 bbl Carb)
B=198 CID, 6 Cylinder (1 bbl Carb)
B=225 CID, 6 Cylinder (1 bbl Carb)
C=225 CID, 6 Cylinder (Special Order)
D=273 CID, 8 Cylinder (2 bbl Carb)
E=225 CID, 6 Cylinder (Special Order)
F=318 CID, 8 Cylinder (2 bbl Carb)
G=318 CID, V8 (2 bbl Carb)
H=340 CID, V8 (4 bbl Carb) HP
H=383 CID, V8 (4 bbl Carb) HP
J=426 CID, V8 (HEMI) (1966 - 1969)
J=340 CID, V8 (3-2 bbl Carb) (1970)
K=440 CID, V8 (4 bbl Carb) (66-69)
K=360 CID, V8 (2 bbl Carb) (70-71)
L=383 CID, V8 (2 bbl Carb) (1970- 71)
L=440 CID, V8 (2 bbl Carb) (67-69)
M=440 CID, V8 (3-2 bbl Carb) (69)
M=440 CID, V* (4 bbl Carb) (69)
M=400 CID, V8 (4 bbl Carb) (71)
N=383 CID, V8 (4 bbl Carb) (1970 - 1971)
R=426 CID, V8 (HEMI) (1970 - 1971)
T=440 CID, V8 (4 bbl Carb)
U=440 CID, V8 (4 bbl Carb) HP
V=440 CID, V8 (3-2 bbl Carb) (1970-1971)HP
Z=Special Order, V8

Sixth Digit - Model Year
0=1970

Seventh Digit - Assembly Plant
A=Lynch Road, MI
B=Hamtramck, MI
C=Jefferson, MI
D=Belvedere, IL
E=Los Angeles, CA
F=Newark, DE
G=St. Louis, MO
P=EXPORT
R=Windsor, Ontario Canada

Eighth to Thirteenth Digit - Assembly Plant Sequential Serial Number

Data Plates (Fender Tags)

Data plates prior to 1969 will not have the VIN number imprinted.
1966-1974 data plates contain a listing of factory installed options.
Data plates are found under the hood up front on the inner edge of the
driver's side fender. Broadcast Sheets

Broadcast sheets contain all the information on the data plate plus
other items. The broadcast sheet is divided into four sections:
Basic Car
Build Codes (not decoded)
Sales Codes
Remarks
NOTE: If you are able to decode the VIN and data plate, the broadcast
sheet will be easier for you.

Broadcast sheets are factory printed sheets and will have the VIN
Number. Ensure this matches your VIN/ Data plate. Not all cars will
have a broadcast sheet.
The most likely location:
Back seat springs
Under the front or rear carpet
Front seat springs
Taped behind glove box
Be hidden anywhere in interior (behind door panels, etc.)
NOTE: The first broadcast sheet you find may not be the correct one
for your car. "KEEP LOOKING"!

Broadcast Sheets, 1969-1974

Description - The information found on the broadcast sheet will be the
same codes (and more) that are stamped on the data plate with other
sales codes and remarks. Broadcast Sheets are divided into four basic
sections noting various codes/equipment that were factory installed.
Broadcast Sheet Categories (1969-1974)
Basic Car - Contains VIN Number, Engine/Transmission codes, VON
Number, Paint/Trim Codes, etc.
Build Codes - Contains Springs, Axle, Shocks, Labels, etc. These are
assembly codes and are of no use to the consumer, unless you are
familiar with "all" part numbers. (The codes are the last 1, 2, or 3
digits of the applicable part number)
Sales Codes - Contain all factory installed equipment and the codes
are the same as the data plate codes in most instances.
Remarks - Contains items/conditions not covered in other categories.

Broadcast Sheet Decoding:
As describing VIN plates and data plates, the broadcast sheet will
vary in appearance from year to year but the difference will not be
significant from 1969-1974

Basic Car
(1) Line 1: Contains plant sequence number, Vehicle Order Number
(VON), VIN Number and Vehicle delivery and Handling

Sequence Number = 2028991; This is the sequence in which the car will be built.
Vehicle Order Number = (A15)056709: A15 is the month and day (October
15) that this car is scheduled for final assembly. 056709 is a
"dealer" order number.
VIN Number (see above) Vehicle Delivery and Handling Section Y14 = Sold Car Bank
(2) Line 2:

Engine = E74 - 426 CID, V8 2-4bbl Carburetors 425 HP
Transmission = D21 - A833 4-Speed Manual Transmission